Prescription Fraud

Michelle & James,
>> What ethical problems are there, if any, to prevent us telephoning
the Benefits Agency hotline which was set up as an anonymous way for people
to report suspected benefit cheats? I know of some pharmacists who do this,
but is the disclosure of patient's names and addresses from a prescription
a breach of confidentiality? <<
Ethics and moral obligations are not set in stone as defined in that
guide that the Society send around. If you think that what you do is
correct and are prepared to defend what you do to a statutory committee if
need be then do it. That is what makes a professional, the ability to think
and decide for oneself.
Getting off my soapbox <BG>
>>but is the disclosure of patient's names and addresses from a
prescription a breach of confidentiality?<<
Yes, but there is the get out clause. If it is in the interest of society
as whole that you break confidentiality then you are entitled to do so. It
is for each professional to decide where the line between society and the
individual is drawn.
Regards

  E-mail from: Jeff Green, 24-Jun-1997
Jeff_Green@compuserve.com