RE: Dead-Legs

	Alf Gustafsson:

	We use the 6-d rule as a "rule of thumb" for all systems, but we
test all deadlegs in SIP validations as sterile boundaries with BI strips of
10^6 population.

	I don't understand your point about not putting a small
	diameter pipe on a large diameter pipe.  We would consider only the
smaller diameter pipe's diameter and length.
	We have found it is important to consider pipe slope and orientation
in steam sterilization.  Even a short deadleg can present a problem if it is
located on the "bottom" of the pipe, or has a downward slope to the valve or
fitting at the end, due to condensate buildup.  Upward sloping deadlegs
(such as vessel flanges) can have air pockets.

	Our experience has shown that BI's are neccesary in steam
sterilizations, as thermocouple temperatures can be high (above 125C) in
locations with condensate problems that prevent BI inactivation.

David Grote
dbg62354@glaxowellcome.com