- If neccessary, go to the toilet and empty your bowels if you can.
- Wash your hands.
- Remove any foil or plastic wrapping from the suppository.
- Either squat, or lie on your side with one leg straight and the other leg bent.
- Gently but firmly push the suppository, tapered end first, into the rectum (back passage). Push far enough so that it does not slip out.
- Close your legs and sit still for a few minutes. Avoid emptying the bowels for at least one hour (unless the suppository is a laxative).
- Wash your hands again.
Keep your suppositories in a cool, dark place (not a refrigerator). If they get too warm, they may melt and you will not be able to use them. Some suppositories may stain clothing.
- If you have any questions about your suppositories or any other medicines, your pharmacist can help.
- ASK YOUR PHARMACIST. YOU'LL BE TAKING GOOD ADVICE.
- KEEP ALL MEDICINES OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN
© National Pharmaceutical Association
Patient Information Home Page
PharmWeb® - Copyright©1994-2016. All rights reserved