Manufacturers are very aware of the importance of clear and effective labelling of medicines. All UK packages of products containing paracetamol carry the following information:
- The name of the product and a list of all its active ingredients with quantities.
- A statement printed in a prominent position saying 'contains paracetamol'.
- The indication ie. what it is to be used for.
- The dosage, plus the maximum dose in 24 hours, and also the minimum interval between doses.
- If the product is suitable for children the children's dose is stated. If it is not suitable for children it will say so with a specified age limit.
- The statement 'Do not exceed the stated dose'.
- The statement 'Keep out of the reach of children'.
- The nature of the product i.e. tablets, capsules etc., how many units are in the pack, and its expiry date.
- The statement, 'If symptoms persist, consult your doctor'.
- The statements, 'Immediate medical advice should be sought in the event of an overdose, even if you feel well' and, 'Do not take with any other paracetamol-containing products'.