What is Tadalafil used for?
Tadalafil is used to treat erectile dysfunction (the inability to get or maintain an erection), which can make sexual intercourse very difficult, or in some cases impossible. It is a generic alternative to Cialis (a popular branded ED medication) and while Tadalafil is much more affordable than its counterpart, it is just as effective at treating ED.
ED can have any number of causes, including fatigue, stress, anxiety, or excess consumption of alcohol, but often there can be an underlying health reason. Tadalafil tackles ED by increasing the flow of blood to the penis, helping you to get and maintain an erection and enjoy a healthier sex life.
How does Tadalafil work?
Erectile dysfunction medications generally work by increasing blood flow to the penis (allowing you to achieve and maintain a healthy erection before and during intercourse) and Tadalafil is no different. After taking one Tadalafil Tablet, you should start to feel the effects within 30 – 60 minutes. Where Tadalafil differs from many other ED treatments is that the effects can last for up to 36 hours (compared to 4 – 6 hours for most others).
However, it must be noted that Tadalafil Tablets (as with any ED medication) will not produce an erection without sexual stimulation. The active ingredient Tadalafil boosts the production of chemical messages involved in achieving an erection, but it cannot fully replicate those messages. Tadalafil will not produce a 36-hour erection; it will simply enable you to achieve an erection (through sexual stimulation) during that time period.
When it comes to treating erectile dysfunction, there are a number of options available. You may find that certain medications are more effective for you than others, so you should take time to decide on the best treatment. Available ED treatments include:
- Cialis Tablets
- Viagra Tablets
- Sildenafil Tablets
- Levitra Tablets
- Spedra Tablets
If tablets have not been effective in treating erectile dysfunction, you may be prescribed Vitaros Cream, a topical solution that is applied directly to the penis.
There are also various lifestyle changes that may help to ease erectile dysfunction. These can include:
- Losing weight (if you are overweight)
- Switching to a healthier diet
- Reducing alcohol consumption
- Quitting smoking
- Exercising regularly
- Reducing stress and anxiety
- Getting counselling
How do I use Tadalafil?
You should take one Tadalafil Tablet per day, swallowed with water. It should be taken at least 30 minutes before sexual intercourse. Do not repeat the dose (or take any other ED medication) within 36 hours of taking Tadalafil.
Tadalafil is designed to be taken ‘as required’, which means you should only take a tablet if you’re expecting to have sexual intercourse within the next 36 hours. You do not need to take Tadalafil every day.
Tadalafil tablets are available in two different strengths; 10mg and 20mg. To determine which dose is right for you, consult your GP.
Who is Tadalafil suitable for?
Tadalafil is used to treat erectile dysfunction in adult men. It should not be taken by women or anyone under 18 years of age. If you do not suffer from erectile dysfunction, Tadalafil will have no effect.
Tadalafil side effects
Cialis and Tadalafil have been used safely by millions of men for many years; however, as with any medication, side effects are possible. The most common side effects associated with Tadalafil are:
- Nasal congestion
- Muscle or back pain
- Skin flushing
These side effects are rare, and typically affect between 1 and 10 people in every 1,000.
Before taking Tadalafil, please take into consideration the following warnings:
- You should never take more than one Tadalafil tablet a day
- As Tadalafil has been known to cause dizziness, you should not drive or operate heavy machinery until you are 100% sure this is not the case
- Taking Tadalafil while consuming alcohol may impair your ability to get and maintain an erection, while it could also cause a drop in blood pressure or introduce additional side effects
- You should consult your doctor immediately if your erection lasts for more than 4 hours, or if taking Tadalafil causes a partial loss of vision in one or both eyes
- If you have decreased liver or kidney function, a cardiovascular disease, a condition such as leukaemia, bone marrow cancer, or sickle cell disease, or you are taking medication for high blood pressure, you should consult a GP or pharmacist before taking Tadalafil
Tadalafil should NOT be taken if any of the following apply to you:
- You are a woman or under 18 years of age
- You have been advised against sexual activity (e.g. if you have a severe heart disorder)
- You have unstable angina (particularly if it occurs during sexual intercourse)
- You have had a recent heart attack, heart failure, or stroke
- You have an arrhythmia (an abnormal heartbeat)
If you are unsure whether Tadalafil is safe for you, you should speak to your GP before taking it.
The active ingredient is Tadalafil (10mg or 20mg). The other ingredients are lactose monohydrate, croscarmellose sodium, hydroxypropyl cellulose, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium lauryl sulfate, and magnesium stearate.